With Express Mode, you can use some of your cards, keys, and passes in Apple Wallet without waking or unlocking your device, or authenticating with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode. You might even be able to use your card, pass, or key when your device needs to be charged.
Select Express Mode for a transit or payment card, pass, or key
When you add an eligible transit card or other compatible card, pass, or key to Apple Wallet, Express Mode is turned on by default. You can also change which card, pass, or key is set to Express Mode.
- Multiple cards, passes, and keys with Express Mode can be active in the Wallet app at the same time. For example, you can have one student ID and one car key each set to Express Mode.
- With some cards, passes, and keys, you can't have multiple of the same type or from the same issuer set to Express Mode. For example, you can only have one student ID from the same school set to Express Mode.
- With some passes, you might be able to set multiple passes of that type to Express Mode.
- For transit, you can set one transit card to Express Mode for each transit network. You can also set a payment card that can be used to pay your fare in locations where your Express Transit card isn't accepted.
How to select Express Mode for a transit or payment card, pass, or key on your iPhone
- Open the Wallet app and select a card, pass, or key.
- Tap the More button , then tap Card Details.
- Tap Express Transit Settings or Express Mode.
- Select your preferred transit card, debit or credit card, or other compatible pass or key.
You can select a different transit or payment card for Express Transit Mode on your Apple Watch:
On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app. In the My Watch tab, tap Wallet & Apple Pay. Then tap Express Transit Card, select a transit or payment card, and authenticate on your Apple Watch with your passcode.
Compatible cards, keys, and passes
You can select Express Mode for compatible cards, keys, and passes, including:
How to use Express Mode on your iPhone or Apple Watch
- Hold the top of your iPhone or the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader.
- When the transaction is successful, a checkmark and Done appear on your device. If you're riding transit, the terminal gate opens and might beep.
That's it—no need to wake or unlock your device, authenticate with Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode, or open the Wallet app.
Use Express Mode with power reserve
You might be able to use your Express Mode cards, passes, and keys on your iPhone, even when your device needs to be charged. With compatible iPhone models, you might be able to use power reserve with some cards, passes, and keys that have Express Mode turned on for up to five hours when your iPhone needs to be charged.
To see the cards, passes, and keys available for use with power reserve, press the side button or the Home button when your iPhone needs to be charged. However, pressing the side button or Home button often might significantly reduce the power reserve. If you power off your iPhone, this feature won’t be available.