What types of ID does Facebook accept?

We have fewer people available to review IDs because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We’re trying hard to prioritize reviews for the most urgent cases. This means we may be unable to review your ID or it may take longer than usual.
If you need to confirm your name on Facebook, or if you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to send us a copy of something with your name on it. You have several different options for this, including photo IDs issued by the government, IDs from non-government organizations, official certificates or licenses that include your name or other physical items like a magazine subscription or a piece of mail.
In some cases, such as authorization for advertisers running ads about social issues, elections or politics, there may be special ID requirements. Learn more in ID Requirements for Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics below.
Please only submit the required documents. Submitting more documents than necessary may delay the review process.
You can also learn more about what happens to your ID after you send it to Facebook.
Don't digitally conceal ID information
To help us prevent fake IDs and other abuses, we don't accept photos that have been digitally modified to hide information.
You can also physically cover any non-essential information on your ID, before you take a photo of the document.
Government IDs
You can send us one government ID to confirm your name or regain access to your account. Anything that you send us should contain either your name and date of birth or your name and photo.
  • Birth certificate
  • Driver's license
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Official name change paperwork
  • Non-driver's government ID (ex: disability, SNAP card, national ID card, pension card)
  • Green card, residence permit or immigration papers
  • Tribal identification or status card
  • Voter ID card
  • Family certificate
  • Visa
  • National age card
  • Immigration registration card
  • Tax identification card
Non-Government IDs
If you don't have a government ID, you can send us two different non-government IDs. Anything that you send us, must include your name and at least one of the two documents should contain your date of birth and/or photo. The name on the items that you send us should be the same name that you want to show on your profile.
Keep in mind that if you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to provide something from the list that also shows a photo or date of birth that matches the details on your Facebook account. This extra precaution is so that we can make sure that the only one with access to your account is you.
  • Bank statement
  • Transit card
  • Check
  • Credit card
  • Employment verification
  • Library card
  • Mail
  • Magazine subscription stub
  • Medical record
  • Membership ID (ex: pension card, union membership, work ID, professional ID)
  • Paycheck stub
  • Permit
  • School ID card
  • School record
  • Utility bill
  • Yearbook photo (actual scan or photograph of the page in your yearbook)
  • Company loyalty card
  • Contract
  • Family registry
  • Diploma
  • Religious documents
  • Certificate of registration for accreditation or professional
  • Professional license card
  • Health insurance
  • Address proof card
  • Personal or vehicle insurance card
ID Requirements for Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
If you want to run ads about social issues, elections or politics:
  • Your ID should be from the country where you want to run ads, and the name of that country must appear on your ID.
  • If your ID has an expiration date, the ID must not be expired.
  • Accepted ID types differ by country. Check which forms of identification are accepted in the country you wish to run ads.
Visit the Business Help Center to learn more about ads with political content.
Was this information helpful?