About Gift Card Scams
Be aware of scams involving App Store & iTunes Gift Cards and Apple Store Gift Cards.
If you believe you're the victim of a scam involving App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 (U.S.) and say "gift cards" when prompted.
A string of scams are taking place asking people to make payments over the phone for things such as taxes, hospital bills, bail money, debt collection, and utility bills. The scams are committed using many methods, including gift cards. As the fraudsters are sometimes requesting codes from App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards, we want to make sure our customers are aware of these scams.
Regardless of the reason for payment, the scam follows a certain formula: The victim receives a call instilling panic and urgency to make a payment by purchasing App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards from the nearest retailer (convenience store, electronics retailer, etc.). After the cards have been purchased, the victim is asked to pay by sharing the code(s) on the back of the card with the caller over the phone.
It's important to know that App Store & iTunes Gift Cards can be used ONLY to purchase goods and services from the iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, for an Apple Music subscription, or for iCloud storage. Apple Store Gift Cards can be redeemed ONLY on the Apple Online Store and at Apple Retail Stores. If you're approached to use the cards for any other payment, you could very likely be the target of a scam and should immediately report it to your local police department as well as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
Never provide the numbers on the back of a Gift Card to someone you do not know. Once those numbers are provided to the scammers, the funds on the card will likely be spent before you are able to contact Apple or law enforcement.
Tips to avoid becoming the victim of a scam
- If you are NOT purchasing an item from Apple — such as from the Apple Store, iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, or for an Apple Music subscription or iCloud storage — do NOT make a payment with an App Store & iTunes Gift Card or Apple Store Gift Card. There's no other instance in which you'll be asked to make a payment with either of these gift cards.
- Do not provide the numbers on the back of the gift card to anyone that you don't know.
- Immediately report potential scams to your local police department as well as the FTC (ftccomplaintassistant.gov).
If you have additional questions, or if you've been a victim of a scam involving App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 (U.S.) and say "gift cards" when prompted, or contact Apple Support online.
- FTC: Scammers Increasingly Demand Payment by Gift Card
- FTC: Scammers push people to pay with iTunes gift cards
- AARP Scam Alert: iTunes Gift Cards the Latest Go-To Tool in Many Gotchas
- IRS: IRS Warns Taxpayers of Summer Surge in Automated Phone Scam Calls; Requests for Fake Tax Payments Using iTunes Gift Cards