If there isn't enough space to download and install an update, your device temporarily removes some downloadable parts of installed apps. You shouldn't need to remove or relocate any content. If you still need more space on your device than is currently available, there are a few ways you can update:
- Plug in your device to your computer to update using your computer.
- Delete content from your device and try updating again.
- Manage the storage on your device with recommendations.
Update using your computer
To download the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, using your computer, follow these steps:
- On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
- Plug in your device to your computer.
- Locate your device on your computer. You may need to trust your device to continue.
- Click Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
If you see a different alert during an update, find out how to resolve it.
Delete content manually
You can check your storage to see how much space your apps are using and delete the ones you don't need. You can download your purchased apps or other content again later.
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, go to Settings > General > [device] Storage.
- Select any app to see how much space it is using.
- Tap Delete App. Some apps, such as Music and Videos, let you delete parts of their documents and data.
- Install the update again. Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
Manage space with recommendations
In iOS 11 and later, and iPadOS, you can get tips about how to save space and how to offload or delete apps and content you don't need. You can download your purchased apps or other content again later.
- Go to Settings > General > [device] Storage.
- Scroll to the Recommendations section to see tips.
- You can also reduce the size of your Photo library by turning on iCloud Photo Library and optimising your device storage.
- Find out how to save space on your device with Messages in iCloud.
- Find out about storage on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.