Before installing a Compressor update, verify that your system still meets Compressor system requirements. Then make sure you back up the currently installed version of Compressor and any custom settings you may have created.
New in Compressor 4.5.1
Released 14 December 2020
- Adds a Prepare for YouTube & Facebook share option to create a file for uploading to those sites.
- Includes stability improvements.
Get complete step-by-step how-to instructions and information on all features in Compressor. For a list of recent enhancements in Compressor, refer to What's New in Compressor.
Released 12 November 2020
- Improves performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Export HLG high-dynamic-range projects with Dolby Vision 8.4 metadata for optimised playback on Apple devices.
- Fixes an issue where audio sync could drift when changing the frame rate of a clip.
- Fixes an issue where creating a BluRay disc from a DV-PAL source would fail.
- Includes built-in support for Avid DNxHR® and Avid DNxHD® decoding and playback.
Released 24 September 2020
- Fixes an issue in which XAVC media from the Sony PXW-FX9 camera is not recognised.
Released 25 August 2020
Camera log conversion
- Convert log-encoded video to SDR and HDR colour spaces.
- Choose from built-in Camera LUTs for Panasonic, Sony, Canon, Blackmagic, Nikon and ARRI log .
- Add a custom Camera LUT to achieve accurate conversions for cameras without a built-in option or to match on-set looks.
Custom LUT effect
- Apply third-party creative LUTs to footage to add a custom look during compression.
- Support for .cube, .mga and .m3d file formats.
- Set the output colour space to SDR or HDR.
Compressor 4.4.7 also includes the following:
- Improves speed and reliability using distributed processing over SMB.
- Create ProRes IMF Packages including support for multiple languages.
- Support for playback of PNG movie files.
- Fixes an issue in which droplets could not recognise .m4v files.
- Fixes an issue where a DV codec with a 709 Colour Profile fails to transcode.
- Fixes an issue in which image sequences may export with the incorrect colour bit depth.
- Fixes an issue where a system could run out of memory when the Active tab is open, while processing a batch on a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
Released 10 December 2019
- Improves stability when using Reverse Telecine.
- Improves reliability when importing Dolby Vision metadata.
- Fixes an issue in which an error was erroneously reported when applying Dolby Vision metadata to a package created for the iTunes Store.
- Fixes an issue in which an error was erroneously reported when verifying a package created for the iTunes Store.
Released 7 October 2019
- New Metal-based processing engine improves playback and accelerates graphics tasks, including rendering, compositing and exporting.
- Enhances graphics performance with support for multiple GPUs, including Radeon Pro Vega II and Radeon Pro Vega II Duo on Mac Pro.
- Optimises CPU performance with support for up to 28 CPU cores on Mac Pro.
- Improves performance of ProRes and ProRes RAW decode when using the Afterburner card on Mac Pro.
- View and deliver stunning High Dynamic Range (HDR) video on Apple Pro Display XDR.
- Tone maps HDR video to compatible Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) displays when using Compressor on macOS Catalina.
- Improves load balancing of graphics processing across multiple GPUs.
- Supports HEVC playback with alpha channel.
- Encodes HEVC with alpha channel in a QuickTime movie file.
- Displays timecode as drop frame, non-drop frame, frames or absolute time.
- Simultaneously imports multiple image sequences.
- Supports audio-track reassignment and specifying a job action using the command line in Terminal.
- Provides option to automatically resize watermark to export dimensions.
- iTunes Store creates SDR delivery from packages submitted with HDR and Dolby Vision metadata.
Released 21 March 2019
- Detects media files that may be incompatible with future versions of macOS after Mojave.
- Improves reliability when sharing video to YouTube.
Released 13 December 2018
- Support for ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ formats on Mac computers that support Metal.
- 64-bit architecture takes advantage of all the memory in your Mac to support high-resolution images and projects.
- Backward compatibility supports legacy 32-bit formats.
- View, edit and deliver closed captions in the SRT format, which is used by a wide range of websites, including Facebook.
- Compressor uses source media properties to automatically configure MXF and QuickTime settings.
- Automatic configuration of settings applies correct frame rate, field order and colour space.
Compressor 4.4.2 also includes the following:
- Automatically configure audio properties when using the QuickTime format to transcode audio files.
- Adds playhead to Closed Captions inspector that marks the current playback position.
- Fixes an issue where metadata did not appear when transcoding to Apple Devices.
- Fixes an issue where removing metadata added from a source file could be deleted but appeared in the transcoded media file
- Improves metadata handling.
- Improves reliability when using the Automatic or Same as source colour space settings for MXF files.
- Improves layout and readability of Inspector pane.
- View, adjust and deliver closed captions.
- Import caption files into a batch or iTunes Store package.
- Use the Inspector to adjust text, colour, on-screen location and timing.
- Search text and select single or multiple captions in the Inspector.
- Support for multiple languages and formats in an iTunes Store package.
- Validation indicator instantly warns about common errors including caption overlaps, incorrect characters, invalid formatting and more.
- Embed captions in an exported video file or create a separate caption sidecar file.
- Share captioned videos directly to YouTube and Vimeo.
- Support for CEA-608 and iTT closed-caption formats.
- Include audio description files in any iTunes Store package.
Compressor 4.4.1 also includes the following:
- MXF Settings are moved from the Custom settings to the built-in section of the settings pane.
- YouTube “Visit” and “Tell a Friend” buttons open video URL correctly.
- Fixes an issue where cropping lines did not display in the Viewer of an iTunes Store Package.
- An error is displayed if HTTP Live Streaming job action is applied to HEVC outputs.
- Fixes an issue where XDCAM batches fail.
- .PSD files load correctly as background images when creating DVD and Blu-ray jobs.
- Support for films DVD and Blu-ray menus.
360 VR delivery
- Encode 360° video in a wide range of formats and frame sizes.
- Share 360° video directly to YouTube, Facebook and Vimeo.
- Export 360° video files with embedded industry-standard spherical metadata.
- Support for monoscopic and stereoscopic formats.
High Dynamic Range
- Deliver High Dynamic Range (HDR) video with controls for colour space conversions and HDR metadata.
- Deliver HDR video as P3 D65 PQ and Rec. 2020 HLG, and Rec. 2020 PQ for HDR10.
- Easily convert HDR to Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) video.
- Support in the iTunes Store Package to link a Dolby Vision graded video file to a Dolby Vision XML.
- Encode video in the High Efficiency Video Coding format (HEVC, also known as H.265) for file sizes up to 40 per cent smaller than H.264 while preserving the same visual quality.*
- Create a custom HEVC export setting in Compressor and use it in Final Cut Pro.
- Send Final Cut Pro and Motion projects to Compressor to encode video in the HEVC format.
- Create a self-contained HEVC droplet for drag-and-drop encoding on the desktop.
- Encode MXF files with support for a wide range of codecs and parameters.
- New MXF presets include AVC-Intra, D-10/IMX, ProRes and XDCAM HD in a variety of frame rates and resolutions.
- Support for ProRes and 10-bit Uncompressed video within an MXF container.
- Support for HDR video in an MXF container
* HEVC support requires macOS High Sierra.
Issues addressed in Compressor 4.4
- Panasonic GH5 MP4 files exported to ProRes no longer produce three green frames at the beginning of a file.
- Improves stability when converting 29.97i video to 25p using Best retiming mode.
- Detailed error message is displayed when transcoding onto a full drive.
- Improves performance of watermarked 240fps source media.
- New animated GIF image settings: small for up to 428 x 240 at 15 fps (optimised for messaging and websites) and large for up to 640 x 360 at 25 fps (optimised for high-quality playback).
- Frame rates correctly identified for iPhone movies.
- Fixes an issue where DV codecs did not configure video frame size, pixel aspect and field order correctly.
- Command line options for monitoring job status.
- Dithering option adds noise to images to minimise distracting patterns such as colour banding.
- Option when creating an iTunes Store package to identify health warning text, as required by Indian law.
- Improves watermark image quality.
- Support for animated PNG and animated GIF image sequences.
- Timecode filter is accurately displayed against drop-frame media.
- Fixes sync for audio transcoded to AC-3.
- Resolves issues in which Share to DVD could become unresponsive.
- Improves font quality of DVD menu and chapter titles.
- Improves image quality when creating a DVD.
- Enhanced DVD User dialogue messages with embedded links to documentation.
- Fade In/Fade Out filter is applied correctly when using distributed encoding.
- Disc names and titles are correctly displayed when using languages with double-byte characters.
- Location paths are respected when using Compressor via Terminal.
- Improves performance when exporting H.264 files and changing frame rate.
- Exporting ProRes 4444 files with transparency using Compressor creates a correct alpha channel.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent processing files using 32-bit codecs including Animation, PNG, Cinepak and WMV.
- Fixes an issue in which marker buttons on the Touch Bar may be displayed incorrectly.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent burning Final Cut Pro projects to DVD via Apple USB SuperDrive.
- Redesigned dark interface puts the focus on your video, with a streamlined presentation of batches and settings.
- Detailed video and audio file information is now displayed in the Inspector.
- Deliver video in standard Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 colour spaces, or in wide Rec. 2020 colour space.
- iTunes Store Package preview lets you audition alternative audio, closed captions or subtitles to verify sync.
- iTunes Store Package media pass-through lets you bypass unnecessary compression.
- iTunes Store Package preview lets you seamlessly switch between audio streams during asset playback to speed up verification.
- Batch warnings and failures are now reported with detailed, actionable notes.
- Still image improvements include support for multiple colour spaces and higher bit depths.
- Support for DPX, Cineon, OpenEXR still images.
- Support for OpenEXR image sequences.
- Enhanced DPX support delivers more accurate interpretation of colour information, pixel aspect ratio, interlacing and timing.
- Improved performance for image processing including frame rate conversions, interlacing, scaling, optical flow retiming, effects and colour-space conversions.
- Automatic selection of optimal bit depth allows for higher-quality transcoding, colour processing and effects.
- Improved efficiency of CPU and GPU processing.
- New DVD disc templates give you more menu and background options.
- New options for DVD authoring let you loop playback, add motion menus and customise menu images.
Compressor 4.3 also includes the following:
- Subtitles are validated on import with detailed, actionable notes.
- Automatic language detection for iTunes Store package assets.
- 4K export preset to create video files for Apple devices.
- Fixes an issue in which Closed Caption files could be incorrectly labelled as SDH subtitles when creating an iTunes Store Package.
- Fixes an issue in which the Navigation window fails to display the source clip when the Preview window is zoomed.
- Launch screen displays correctly on OS X El Capitan.
- Adds iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro and Apple TV HD to the Apple Devices compatibility list.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Compressor to unexpectedly quit after migrating a user account to another system.
- Restores the ability to use markers for i-frame placement in H.264 exports.
- Exports interlaced H.264 files.
- Improves audio and video sync of closed captions and subtitles.
- Create an iTunes Store Package for iTunes Store submission.
- Easily add your film, trailer, closed captions and subtitles to your iTunes Store Package.
- Preview closed captions and subtitles right in the Viewer.
- Zoom in the Viewer to watch content with true pixel accuracy.
- GPU rendering when using 'Send to Compressor' with support for dual GPUs.
- Hardware-accelerated, multi-pass H.264 encoding on compatible systems.
- Automatic bit-rate calculation to MPEG-4 and H.264 QuickTime movies.
- Display and assign channels to QuickTime audio tracks prior to processing.
- Optional matrix stereo down-mix when processing surround sound for QuickTime output.
- CABAC entropy mode for multi-pass encoding.
Compressor 4.2 also includes the following:
- Jobs submitted via Droplet now appear in the Active and Completed tabs.
- Improved stability when using Apple AES3 Audio format with ProRes 422 HQ.
- Compressor 4.1.3 fixes reliability issues when burning a Blu-ray Disc or creating a Blu-ray disk image.
- Support for Apple ProRes 4444 XQ
- Status display and improved responsiveness when using 'Send to Compressor' from Final Cut Pro X and Motion.
- Improved performance and colour accuracy when encoding H.264 source files from GoPro cameras.
- Fixes issues transcoding alpha channels in image sequences.
This update also includes the following general stability improvements￼.
- Resolves issues with installing Compressor on a computer where Qmaster was previously enabled.
- Improves the reliability of 'Send to Compressor' from Final Cut Pro X.
- Addresses distributed encoding errors when source files are not on the startup volume.
- Fixes errors that could cause a hang when submitting a batch.
- Fixes a stability issue that could occur if multiple Compressor plug-ins are installed.
- Resolves an issue when viewing a plug-in setting without the plug-in installed.
- Includes general stability improvements.
- New interface with a single-window layout and streamlined controls.
- Preset Destinations for common encoding tasks.
- Simplified setup for distributed encoding.
- Hardware-based H.264 encoding in supported Share operations.
- Support for Dolby Digital Plus encoding.
- Share directly to YouTube at 4K resolution.
- Share directly to Chinese video sites Youku and Tudou.
- Removes 1 GB file size limit for uploads to Vimeo.
- Fixes a stability issue when playing back certain MPEG-2 files.
- Fixes a stability issue in Qmaster when processing multiple jobs.
This update improves overall stability and performance including fixing an issue with uploading clips larger than 1 GB to Vimeo.
- Improved cluster setup eliminates the need to have Compressor open on all cluster nodes.
- Ability to use encoding clusters without administrator authentication.
- Addresses an issue related to third-party QuickTime components that could prevent Compressor from opening.
Compressor version 4.0.4 improves overall stability and performance including:
- Enhancements to Share Monitor for MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012).
- Resolves a stability issue that could occur when selecting the Publish to YouTube job action from the Inspector.
- Ability to run Compressor on a Mac without a monitor.
- Fixes an issue with exporting when logged in as an Open Directory user.
- Improves performance when encoding MP4 and AVI files.
- Adds an export setting for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices.
- Markers are set as chapter markers by default.
- Adds Uncompressed 8-bit and 10-bit 4:2:2 to export settings list.
- Improves the speed of transcoding from Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 to ProRes.
- Updates the bitrates in mobile data settings for HTTP Live Streaming.
- Fixes an issue with accessing QuickTime Export Component settings in Final Cut Pro X.
- Fixes an issue in which This Computer cluster does not appear when OS X is configured in Chinese.
- Resolves stability issues when launching Soundtrack Pro after Compressor 4 is installed.
Back up Compressor
Before updating, you should back up the currently installed version of the Compressor application and any custom settings.
Back up the Compressor Application
To back up the currently installed Compressor application:
- Create a new folder in the Applications folder, and name it after the application (for example, 'Compressor 4.2.2'). To check your version of Compressor, open the application and choose About Compressor from the Compressor menu.
- Select the Compressor application in the Applications folder. Choose File > Compress 'Compressor'. It will take a few minutes to compress.
- Move the resulting 'Compressor.zip' file into the folder you created in step 1.
- Move the folder containing the .zip file to a backup drive.
Back up Compressor settings
To back up Compressor settings, copy any custom settings files from ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor/Settings to a new folder.