Noteful: Note-Taking on PDF 4+
Good handwritten notes & paper
Noteful Technologies Ltd
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
Noteful is your one-stop note-taking app to experience the new paperless revolution on iPad.
Perfect for annotating documents, taking class notes or even building your personal knowledge system. It is time to put aside the paper clutter, as Noteful is a versatile tool that helps you to accelerate your learning and knowledge work.
Take Beautiful Handwritten Notes
• Natural, fluid and precise handwriting experience
• Precise handwriting on iPad with Apple Pencil native support
• Custom-built ink engine InfiniteStroke that captures and converts your strokes into high-resolution vector ink
• 3 brushes available: ballpoint pen, fountain pen and highlighter
• Switch between pen sizes and colours
• Recognise geometrical shapes
Markup, Highlight, Annotate
• Import PDFs, MS Office documents to a notebook
• Add images, shapes and typed text to notes
• Use multiple paper templates in a single notebook
• Export and share handwritten annotations as PDF
• Use Quick Create to create a new notebook for quick sketching
• Organise quickly by tagging with #tag or even #nested/tag anywhere in notebooks
• More flexible than folders; Notes can be organised by subjects, by topics or by priorities
• Browse notebooks or pages by tags
• Rename, delete or re-assign tags to easily re-organise your library
Layers in Notebook
• Add annotation on separate layers without changing original content*
• Hide or show layers independently
• Rearrange layers
• Make it possible to composite complex layout*
All Your Notes, All the Time
• Sync to all your iPhone and iPad devices*
• Take textbooks, slides, handwritten notes and PDF documents with you wherever you go
• Notebooks synced with iCloud are encrypted via account-based keys
• Erase strokes with eraser
• Double tap on Apple Pencil to switch to eraser tool
• Move and resize annotations with lasso tool
• Unlimited undo, redo
• Support Split View for multitasking
Audio Record Notes
• Record audio while you take notes
• Audio playback position synced with the notes
Modern App Design
• A minimalist UI that maximizes content space
• Streamlined design that requires fewer taps for common functions
• Different orientations are available for the main toolbar
• A clean UI that lets you focus on note-taking and the content
We will be adding new features so please stay tuned for future updates.
Noteful is free to use without time limit but with certain features (marked with*) only available to users who upgrade to Noteful Pro via In-app purchase.
Noteful Pro is available for one-time purchase and the features will be unlocked forever.
If you have support questions or product suggestions, please contact us by support.
Wishing you good note-taking!
Customer Support: [email protected]
- Changing the pen size in the pen tool and highlighter tool options now also updates the pen size saved in the pen favorite.
- Fixed the problem where shape recognition sometime result in slightly rotated shapes.
- Fixed the issue with using shape recognition with the highlighter tool in the last version.
Ratings and Reviews
No-nonsense note-taking app
I love this app. I’m not quite sure why everyone is raving about GoodNotes and Notability when Noteful is more lightweight on resources and equally as powerful!
The app has amazing performance (on my iPad, iPhone and M1 mac) which means that Noteful is best in class when it comes to battery life. This was the key factor in choosing an app for me, and as long as this app remains lightweight I’ll probably keep using it.
While not all the features from other apps are here there (flashcard templates, OCR search, etc) I have not really missed any of these features. Like i mentioned before, performance matters more to me, and hopefully the developers keep efficiency in mind and do not give in to ‘feature creep’. It’s much better to have dedicated apps for flashcards and OCR searching rather than having one app trying to do everything at once (and being mediocre at everything).
My only gripe with this app is that the auto-backup feature chooses to export documents using the ‘high’ graphics quality. This makes small writing look crooked which is not ideal. It would be amazing if we were given the choice to auto-backup our notes in the best quality possible. Keep up the good work!
It just works! What’s not to like?
I have tried almost all of the iOS note taking apps, trying to find the perfect one. There are some apps that have more features, but for me this is the one that works. The learning curve and the feature set, makes for a hassle free experience. With some apps I feel I am battling to make them work, but this one is the most intuitive. As a university lecturer, I love the layers concept. I can annotate a .pdf but return to the original document with ease. One feature request would be Dropbox backup. A note app needs to be quick and easy to use. This one strikes the perfect balance. The cream on the cake is the price, it’s a bargain!
New favourite note taking app, but still missing some features
The app is superb, with good folder management, tags, layers (!!!), and a UI which leaves most of the screen free for writing and which makes navigation easy. The experience is positive enough that I now use it as my main note taking app for university instead of Notability or Goodnotes 5. I do wish the tutorial was a bit clearer though, especially regarding layers (what do the eye/pencil/padlock symbols mean!?).
That said, it’s missing some features. None are completely deal breaking, but they do make me miss Notability:
- Shapes do not snap to each other, nor do they snap to the lines on pages
- No “duplicate” feature, instead have to copy & paste (this takes up a fair bit of time when you’re trying to keep up with a lecturer)
- No handwriting recognition; handwritten notes thus can’t be searched
- No maths/LaTeX conversion; this one is less important, but I really miss it for when I want to make sure an equation is nice and clear
- Can’t move the tools around on the toolbar (I prefer it on the bottom, but the colours are out of the way if I do this)
- No ruler; would be a nice addition.
Overall though, I’m happy to see where this app goes in future, since I’d be surprised if a lot of these aren’t added going forward. I hope these improvements come quickly though, because if Notability fixes it’s awful file management and lack of various paper types/pdfs in one notebook, I’d probably switch back.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Noteful Technologies Ltd
- 74.7 MB
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Noteful Technologies Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Noteful Pro, Lifetime £4.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.